Planning

 This week we were given an introduction to the TU Dublin library and its many services available to us. It was quite helpful to get this information and i think having access to their databases will really help with the research and writing process for making our book this semester.

Once that was finished I chose a topic to begin my research journey for the book we will be contributing to. For now the topic I am going with is "What is the origin of video game addiction and what role do game developers have to play in this?". As someone who used to lay a lot of video games when I was younger, I've always found the concept of being addicted to a game or gaming in general to be rather interesting. It could happen due to a wide variety of reasons but it seems there is a trend in recent years to make some games as addictive as possible. This can be done with marketing, game mechanics, online features and pay to win features.

After choosing my topic I then made a brief keyword research list and started searching for relevant academic papers using the TU Dublin library database and Google Scholar. The four I have found so far that seem relevant are as follows.

  1. "Making the Case for Video Game Addiction: Does It Exist or Not?" by Halley M. Pontes
  2. "Gaming Disorder: News Media Framing of Video Game Addiction as a Mental Illness" by Scott Parrotta , Ryan Rogersb , Nathan A. Towerya , and Samuel D. Hakim
  3. "Addictive Gameplay: What Casual Game Designers Can Learn from Slot Machine Research" by Kevin A. Harrigan, Karen Collins, Michael J. Dixon,  Jonathan Fugelsang
  4. "Effect of Gaming Addiction, Game Loyalty, and Gamer Motivation on Intention to Purchase Online Mobile In-Game Features: Case Study of PUBG Mobile" by Jordan Ahmad Yasir, Anna Amalyah Agus  
I have also started my matrix spreadsheet to extract the necessary information from these sources as I progress with reading them.

Overall I'm eager to get started and learn about addiction in video games!


Photo of Two Red Dices by Jonathan Petersson via Pexels



Comments