Unity Tutorial 01 - The beginning of a 2D adventure

 Welcome back to my blog!


I chose to complete the 2D tutorial series from Unity for this semester. I enjoyed learning 3D coding and game development last semester although I did find some of the coding concepts difficult to grasp. I wanted to learn 2D game design and environments because I think it may make for a more interesting game for the project and hopefully some of the skills and concepts I've learned from 3D game design last semester will help with the development of it.

Overall this first set of tutorials was not too challenging. The scripts use some of the same programming language i am familiar with such as the transform and time.DeltaTime functions used to change an objects position and speed. I liked how the tutorial series is using a text based approach as opposed to video tutorials so this way I can quickly go back over any complicated instructions with ease. One thing that was very frustrating was the final part of the tutorial with the tilemap instructions. It seems Unity has changed their approach to some key concepts like tilemaps since the tutorial was written so the tutorial itself is a bit misleading. I was thankfully able to get my tilemap working in the end after checking out a useful video posted in the Teams chat for this module.

I am looking forward to continuing the tutorial series and hopefully I will learn a lot from the process!

Mosaic Alien on Wall by Francesco Ungaro via Pexels



Comments