Alpha

A screenshot from my working menu that is now part of my Alpha build!

This week I worked on setting up my main menu for my coin collecting racer game. To start I wanted to make up a fancy looking background image in PhotoShop, but unfortunately my scratch disks on my MacBook were full which meant I couldn't open the program to begin with. This left me with no other option but to arrange a simple looking set up in the scene view and take a screenshot. Although its not what I initially wanted, I'm happy with how it turned out! I placed the car on the scene along with several coins surrounding it and then rotated the camera until I was happy with the look for the screenshot.

The next step was to layout the buttons and text. I used this YouTube tutorial by BMo to help me learn how to make a basic menu and link different game scenes together. After customising the style and layout of the buttons and text I was quite happy with the finished result. I had some trouble with the scripting initially but after rewatching the tutorial, I noticed I had forgotten to include an EventHandler object which was crucial to the functioning of the menus and game.

I also finally figured out a quick fix for my troublesome flipping car! Using this YouTube tutorial by Design and Deploy I was able to come up with a script that when attached to the car would reset its rotation; essentially allowing me to flip the car over whenever it went upside down. I had hoped to fix the driving so that it was impossible to flip at all but this will have to do for now.

Next week I'll be polishing my game even further with my Beta release!
 

Comments