My thoughts on Growth Mindset

I found the videos on Carol Dweck and her views on Growth Mindset very interesting and quite informative. I hadn't heard of growth mindset or Carol Dweck before but a lot of what she mentioned in her TED talk connected with me in a very profound way.

As a student in secondary school and primary school, I was often praised for my abilities and results in exams but as I got older my interest waned and in later years I would find it extremely difficult to apply myself to even simple homework. I feel as though if I had been aware of the growth mindset approach then, I would have had a better chance at pushing myself to achieve better and complete more challenging work.




I would be interested in learning more about growth mindset and how it can help me with my third level studies over the next couple years. One area I often struggle with is writing essays and reports so I would be curious to see what a growth mindset approach can do to help me with this.

I really want to improve my coding skills this year, starting with brushing up on HTML and CSS as I know they will help me to get a good grade in Website Design 1 and our group project module.

I also want to develop my film production and editing skills as this is one of my passions and I would really like to work in a creative role in the film industry some day.

The modules that interest me the most for this semester would be the group project, multimedia development, website design and digital video techniques. I feel like I may struggle with visual design fundamentals because I am a bit rusty with using Adobe Illustrator but I am up for the challenge because I will be adopting a Growth Mindset approach to any obstacles I face!

Image Sources

  • A meme about growth mindset featuring a cat learning on a macbook by laurakgibbs. Available at Flickr



Comments

  1. Hi Michael, after reading about your thoughts on Growth Mindset you put forth relatable statements. I too never heard of The Growth Mindset and I also feel it would have helped greatly to have known about it back in our early days of learning. Also I noticed that you wanted to improve your coding skills so hopefully multimedia development and the web design modules will enable you to get to where you want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael, really interesting I'm the same I struggle with essays and reports also and after would like to learn more on growth mindset myself and hope to use it for future work in and outside college. I also look forward to starting on web design and may be able to use growth mindset for this module.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog post Michael. I can definitely relate to having difficulties writing essays and reports. They’re the bane of any project I have to do and I dread having to write them. In even projects I find interesting and enjoyable, writing about it afterwards is what always catches me out. I believe many people would benefit from learning about the growth mindset from a younger age.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment