Prototype

A screenshot of my Prototype game in development


After finally nailing down my game concept (a race against the clock game where you need to collect coins to set a high score) I began work on my prototype.

It was tricky enough to get started as I had forgotten some core concepts thought to me in the Unity tutorial series I had followed earlier in the module.

Before I settled on this game concept I had wanted to do a math educational game, then an endless runner, then an airplane racer. Each concept had seemed easy to develop in my head but once I got started I realised my C# coding skills weren't up to the challenge. Eventually after finding some useful tutorials on YouTube I realised I could adapt and create my own coin collecting driving game.

I figured out how to use the Unity asset store and installed some free car assets. I then set about creating the CarController script. I used this tutorial from GameDevChef on YouTube to help me with the code for the handling and acceleration of the car.

I also learned how to paint terrain using the various brushes and options in Unity. These were tricky to manage but eventually I got used to using various brush sizes, opacities and materials to craft my in game landscape.

I'm looking forward to developing my game even further for next weeks post!



 

Comments