First Playable

 

      A screenshot from my first playable version of my game 


This week I worked on finalising my terrain set up. This was tricky as I'd often think the terrain was to my liking but then the car wouldn't handle well and end up flipping over which became really frustrating. I'm still in the process of finding a fix for this. Ideally I'd like for the car to be able to navigate bumpy terrain but maybe the code I'm using isn't suitable for it? Nevertheless I hope to have some improvements to show in my Alpha version next week!

I also worked on the Coin pickup mechanics this week. This was done by placing a cylinder in the scene view, modifying its coordinates and colour to look like a coin and then clone and copy it across the game map. This tutorial from BeepBoopIndie on YouTube helped me implement a script that would destroy the coin on contact, play a sound, and update the score in the top left of the game view. It was very rewarding to have this score element taken care of and working perfectly!

Next week I plan on implementing a main menu and the above mentioned fix for the car that keeps flipping!

Comments