Games GDD

 

Image Source: Pexels
Photo Credit: cottonbro


From going through the assigned readings, I have found some very interesting material that will aid me when it comes time to produce my own game design document.

Some examples of material that caught my eye includes:

1. Art Bible

The way the Art Bible was described in the course material really stood out to me:

 "The game’s art should have a single, consistent look and feel to it, which is often very precisely communicated in guidelines contained within this document."

This is a very true point as and I will definitely implement this in my own GDD. It is essential to keep a clear and constant design throughout the game. Having guidelines to convey these design consistencies in a GDD is a great way to ensure they are followed.

2. Game Progression

I have since learned from reading the course material, that game progression is another key aspect to any GDD. Talking about your players progression, power-ups and potential hazards is a fundamental part of development a game that keeps the player engaged. Some player progression I have been thinking of using for my own game involves making the equations more difficult to solve as the levels progress. A power-up I have been considering for my game is a calculator with limited time, which will allow the player to temporarily advance through the level with ease if they unlock it. 

3. Music and Sounds

Music and sounds will be an integral part of my game, so it will definitely need to be discussed in my GDD. Without music and sounds, the game will be less engaging. It is a maths based game, so can be perceived as dull at times so music and sounds will liven up the atmosphere of said game. 

In the reading material, Music has been highlighted as "the language of the soul, and as such, it speaks to players on a deep level." Describing the sounds and music I will be using in my GDD, I now know a great way to do this will be through splitting the music/sounds into subsections. 


After studying these readings, I have learned some valuable lessons about how to create my game design document in a efficient and descriptive manner.   





Comments