Games Decisions

 

Image Source: Pexels
Photo Credit:  Francesco

From going through the assigned readings, there was some very good advice that will help me make the right decisions when it comes to making my game.


In the first reading,  I learned that most players don't use the majority of the features. They will use them once, if ever. Less is more, when it comes to features...extra features are not needed. Just focus on the objective of the game and keep the player engaged by letting them use skills they already have. 

Another thing I learned is the importance of making a game fun to play. Some of the key ingredients to make a game fun to play include giving the player a goal that isn't too simple or too hard to achieve and introducing the idea of "failing" and "success".

One thing that really stood out to me from this reading was the process of exploratory learning. The example given in the reading detailed how in the game Metroid the player has to figure out how to wall jump. Considering the game I make may not be instantly easy to figure out its objectives I may end up implementing a simple tutorial level rather than having a player struggle with how they will pass to the next level.

Overall this reading was fairly informative and helpful for getting me thinking about my game concept and how it will play out once develloped.


Comments