Unity Tutorial 01 - An introduction to the wonderful world of game design

So here it is, my first experience with coding in C# and using Unity3D.

The easiest part of this tutorial was probably understanding the technical side of the code. I haven't used C# before but had experience with Java from several years ago and I was surprised at how they are quite similar in structure to each other.

The hardest part of this tutorial was actually using Unity with a trackpad! I found it so frustrating having to right click and then scroll with one hand or even using the arrow keys to move around. There was countless times where I would lose where my vehicle or road was and end up out of bounds or underneath the map or somewhere else than where I wanted to be.

Overall I enjoyed the experience a lot. Initially i tried to rush ahead with the video tutorials and missed some steps here and there. This meant that by trying to save on time I actually ended up slowing myself down a bit! Nevertheless I'm glad I got my workspace, project and code all to work seamlessly together in the end and I am looking forward to tackling the next tutorial and using my new skills to help with the game development process.



A screenshot of my unity workspace from the first set of tutorials.

Comments