Game Idea Research - My mechanics for my educational game

 Following on from the game brainstorming session I did last week, this week I have decided to research one of my game ideas in greater detail.

The game I will be researching for this blog post is the math based platformer gamer. I have yet to come up with a title for this potential game but hopefully a few ideas will come to me while researching it today! 

As I mentioned in my last blog post, my initial concept of game mechanics for this game would be as stated below.

"Each level would consist of gaps and platforms to jump across. The playable character would have a number displayed above them that would update as you cross from platform to platform. The platforms that the player jumps to would also have numbers on them as well as a mathematic symbol such as plus, minus, multiply or divide. The player would also see the target number at the top left of their screen. There would also be a timer running for approx 5 seconds to add a sense of urgency to the game and if the timer runs out the player would lose the level."

 
The image above represents a similar layout that I would create for my math platformer game. Image available on Unity forums.

The game mechanic that I think would be the most important for making this game fun would be to have a countdown timer that updates based on the actions of the player. For example the game would begin and the player would have to jump to the next correct platform to solve the math problem within the remaining time. If the player makes it to the correct platform their countdown timer would increase giving them more time to get further and further into the level.

I feel as though this game mechanic will be easy enough to implement as it would just involve programming the timer to update on screen and also to link it to other parts of the game code, e.g. if the player jumps to the right platform they should gain some extra time. It is important to consider where to place the timer on screen however and i think this blog post from The Gamers Experience could be useful when deciding this. This tutorial from gamedevbeginner.com could come in handy for coding the timer in Unity. Obviously I will have to adapt it to my own game mechanics but it should help me understand the basics of how it works.

The next mechanic that will be crucial to making this game will be to vary the difficulty as the player progresses through the game. I want the game to be simple and easy to understand at first to draw the player in but after successfully passing a few platforms the math problems should get more difficult to solve within the remaining time. I plan on doing this by starting off with simple problems like 2+2 and progressing to more complex problems like 8*(10-1) for example. This tutorial for generating random numbers in C# should be useful for getting this in game functionality working.

My final game mechanic is something that I haven't mentioned in my last blog post but I think it could really make the game a lot more interesting. My idea to do this is to use in game power up items. For example if the player picked up a calculator power up item, the correct platforms for the next 3 to 5 jumps would be highlighted with a coloured beacon. There could also be unwanted objects such as a snail which would slow the movement of the player down so that they would be racing against the clock even more. I plan on using the following tutorial on creating power ups in Unity when developing my game to help with creating this game mechanic.

Overall after completing this extra research for my game idea I feel like I have a better idea of how to start developing for my project. While I am still a long way off from having a functioning game, I found this exercise very helpful in figuring out some aspects of how my game will look and feel to play. I am hoping that all the links I have included will be of use to me and maybe even be of use to you too!

Comments

  1. Hi Michael I really like your game idea and the overall idea of it. I really like the idea of how the gaps and spaces fit into it and like how tough it could be trying to get across, to make it better I like the game mechanic of the timer counting down as you play making it more competitive and stressful which could make it really enjoyable and fun to play with someone while taking turns. I also really like the game mechanic of the math problems and with each math challenge that they get harder and harder as you go along through the stages. Im really looking forward to the final piece and can't wait to see the gameplay should be really good and interesting to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael, great blog post, love your game idea so far.I like how you have already thought on how to make the game more enjoyable by having the difficulty levels increasing each time , this will definilty make the game more interesting as you go along , I feel like 5 seconds is a bit short of time for the harder questions however you did mention if the player makes it to the next platform the countdown would increase, how much increase do you think would be added per platform ? I also love the power ups you have thought of so some really good ideas there. Have you consderd maybe doing like a bonus, sudden death round with rapid fire questions , could be an interesting concept to include.Looking forward to seeing what game you create.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yoooo Michael this game idea sounds great your the first person I’ve seen do an educational game which is awesome because it’s always nice to see different ideas instead of the same things. All of your game mechanics seem well thought about and that they would do the job. Would you possibly add some intense music into the background for the player to hear while trying to complete the questions or you could even add a bomb in the players hands with a timer and if they don’t complete the question In time the player dies or something you could add extra time for completed questions I’m getting carries away here haha great idea man best of luck.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment