Game Elements

 The reading I chose to look at this week was "What are the Qualities of Games?" by Ian Schreiber.

In the article posted by Schreiber to his game design blog he discusses the atomic elements of games and also the importance of critical analysis and various methods of carrying it out.

I would agree with Schreiber's thoughts on the importance of critical analysis because it helps us to realise what makes a game worth playing in the first place. I am going to try to implement this approach when designing my own games because if I don't look at things critically I may end up making something that doesn't appeal to others.

I also viewed a video titled "Introduction to Game Design: Prototype Your Game" uploaded by LiveLessons on YouTube.

In this video two game designers display various methods of prototyping when designing games. I really liked their approach and it was something I hadn't considered before. I think I will definitely try out the paper prototyping method when making my 3d Math Platformer game for the end of semester project. It would be a good idea to also get average people unfamiliar with the game design process to play the prototype to see if the concept makes sense to them.


The cycle of prototyping. Image available at justuxdesign.com


Comments